Tuesday 25 November 2008

Who Takes Care Of The Carers?

Who takes care of the carers?

This is a question that I heard asked of my mother, as she - and less so, I - supported my Step-father in the latter years of his terminal illness. Prostate Cancer. During those years, my mother had much to think about. My son. Me and my mental health. Her uncertainty about the future. I believe that my mother's resiIience was, and is, due to her unwavering faith. Her friends and family that supported her practically and emotionally, especially at that time, could have been, and can perhaps still be viewed as not 'Job's comforters' but 'Job sitters'. I will however remain forever grateful to them. Two years have now passed, since my Step-father's death, and yet my mother never ceases to amaze me.

A few hours ago, I visited my CMHT (Community Mental Health Team) to collect my anti-psychotic 'Stella' medication. Whilst there, I spoke to Dr Kitty confirming my January 2009 appointment with her. I also conversed with Wendy - Grace's replacement - for the best part of an hour. Wendy has agreed - to visit me, complete with my anti-psychotic 'Stella' medication, at my office in Westminster, in two weeks for my next appointment.

I am over the moon that Kent News has published my comment regarding the BBC2 Horizon 'How Mad Are You?' programme.

Mental health charities defend controversial show
25 Nov 2008 ... Yvonne Stewart-Williams, Lambeth, London. TV News as it happens. Latest National News. 24 Hour UK & World News, Sport and Entertainment ... www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/Mental-health-charities-defend-controversial-show-newsinkent17988.aspx




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.