Sunday 9 November 2008

Finally.

Tonight, CeCe Peniston's www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CeCe_Peniston 'Finally', was being played by the D.J as I entered the 'House Music' room, after having, first sampled the 'Reggae' and 'Hip Hop' room, at tonight's fundraising benefit, in my local area.
There were at least two hundred plus, predominantly heterosexual, men and women at this function - most of which were on the dance floor. When I heard 'Finally' (which is a favourite track of mine) being played, my memory flashed back to a time prior to the onset of my personal experience of mental illness. In those days, I loved 'House Music' - I still do - and would work hard and play hard. I was a bit of a 'Funky Dread' in appearence and style, but I would frequent places on the Lesbian and Gay Scene, such as 'Queer Nation' in Covent Garden, 'The Vox' in Brixton, 'Venus Rising' in Brixton 'Shugs' in Brixton, 'Sauda' at the London Women's Centre, in Holbon and many other clubs.
Approximately three years prior to the onset of my mental health problems, I started to experiment with recreational drug and alcohol use. My drugs of choice were 'cannabis', 'cocaine', 'alcohol' and finally cigarettes. Prior to this I had been completely tee-total, and didn't even smoke cigarettes, eat meat or consume dairy products.
Last night's fundraising benefit, was completely alcohol and drug free. Plus, because of the smoking ban, there was no smoking inside. When I left, at 11.55pm - due to my commitment to attend my local Quaker meeting, for Worship at 10.30am, each Sunday morning - the fundraising benefit was in full swing. Most people were dancing.
And finally, all this in the heart of Brixton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.