Wednesday 12 November 2008

Glasgow.

I arrived in Glasgow Central, minutes ago. This is my first trip to Glasgow. Second time in Scotland - the country of my mother's paternal grandfather's birth.

Since my arrival, I have momentarily pondered what David Stewart - My mother's father, would have thought of his father's country.

On the punctual and efficient Scotrail train, I thought about my grandfather and his life with his younger brother Arthur and older sister Sarah, growing up with his mother and father in Jamaica. David Stewart, a landowner, was baptised in the faith of the Seventh Day Adventist and spent some time employed in the Police force in Jamaica, dedicating himself to being a farmer. He like me, was a first generation child, born in the country of our parents' travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.