Thursday 9 October 2008

It's Not Always The Obvious Things.

I found my experience, last night, of watching Don Giovanni free Online www.roh.org.uk/video deeply gratifying.

This morning I awoke feeling 'fresh', and after reading ONEinFOUR www.oneinfourmag.org contemplated the three topics that came to mind:

The first, was the feature 'They tuck you up' While many of us will experience mental health difficulties or distress, many of us will also be parents. Suzan Arisoy looks at the joys and anxieties of parenting while coping with mental health issues. As someone who has a history of mental health issues, and is also a parent, who has in part, been disenfranchised, I found this feature invigorating and apt. It's portrayal, from the experiencer's point of view, has shed much light on a subject, which in my opinion is in desperate need of illumination.

The second, was the cover story 'The burning issue?' We all know that giving up smoking can make us physically healthier and fitter. Laurie Penny explores ways of coming to the healthiest outcome you can, if giving up seems too much. Having personally become agitated and disgruntled, as a direct result of spending much time confined to a locked and smoky psychiatric ward,- whilst initially also personally being a part of the problem and not the solution - My feelings are, that to have this issue discussed, provides a much needed 'breath of fresh air'.

The third, was the feature 'The madness of politics' Mark Brown on mental health difficulties at Westminster. This brought to mind, my contact last year, with Keith Hill MP www.writetothem.com . I found his empathetic response to his constituent - me - productive. I am certain that my clients, who all have long term experiences of mental health issues, also gained greatly, from the guided tour of The Houses of Parliament and the Jewel Tower, that Keith Hill MP www.theyworkforyou.com made possible for them.

I am currently on page 66, of the riveting 'A Can of Madness' by Jason Pegler www.chipmunkapublishing.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.