Sunday 12 October 2008

Transcending Childhood is a Complicated Business (But it is Unique to Everyone).

On Saturday, I took my adorable son to the Museum of Childhood http://www.museumofchildhood.org.uk/ in Bethnal Green. The last time that he came to this museum with me, he was five years old, still in his Steiner kindergarten class, and was accompanied by his six year old kindergarten friend. They spent much time, with socks and shoes off, playing in the sandpit.

My son did not seem to remember visiting this museum four years ago. He also voiced his disappointment at not being able to play in the play pen with the toddlers, in the 'under threes' section. In the end, after much thought, he satisfied his desire to ride the wooden horses.

As the mother of a nine year old son, I have found there is one thing that both he and I now have an uneasy truce about, and that is his increasing reluctance to enter and use the women's toilets. It is a sign, among many, that my 'baby' is growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.