Wednesday 10 September 2008

What's A Girl, Like Me, To Think?

Approximately ten years ago, when I was released from an enforced Section 3 hospital admission, I did volunteer work in the psychiatric hospital's Service User group. I met a gay man, who like me, had a history of mental distress and was also an adult Survivor of Child Sexual Abuse. He described himself as being Germaine Greer's number one fan.

I, had never heard of Germaine Greer, but years later, during a manic 'high', I remembered this gay man and decided to purchase, from the 'Silver Moon' section of Foyles bookshop:
'Germaine Greer, Untamed Shrew' by Christine Wallace.
Germaine Greer, The Whole Woman.
The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer.
And at a later date, I also purchased, 'Whitefella Jump Up' The shortest way to nationhood, also written by Germaine Greer. However, due to a series of hospital re-admissions, which resulted in my high exposure to 'Stella', I was unable to concentrate well enough to read. I then lost my interest to read Germaine Greer's work, and her books have remained unread on my bookshelf.

I confess to being a regular reader of 'My Life Divine,' which is a Devotion shop weblog, written by Carolyn Cowan, who is amongst other things, a 48 year old experienced and widely travelled, retailer, bodypainter, photogragher, yoga teacher, recovering addict/alcoholic of 17 years, an adult survivor of child sexual abuse and a happily married heterosexual mother of two young children.

However after reading the weblog 'Exhausted with Germaine Greer' posted by Carolyn Cowan, on 19th August 2008, whilst on holiday in Southern France, and seated in the bosom of her family. I have laughed so much, that it has also renewed my interest in Germaine Greer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.