Sunday 14 September 2008

My Own 'Macduff.'

The Women's Library (celebrating and recording women's lives): www.londonmet.ac.uk/thewomenslibrary

Lesbian and gay archives: www.lse.ac.uk/library/archive/gutoho/lesbian_and_gay_archives.htm

'Gay's the Word' lesbian and gay bookshop: http://freespace.virgin.net/gays.theword

Chipmunkapublishing (The Mental Health Publisher): www.chipmunkapublishing.com


My son, was a caesarian born baby, much like the character, Macduff, in the William Shakespeare play, Macbeth. Luckily for me, my 'Macduff' is also amazing.

Yesterday, I met with my son for five and a half hours of unsupervised contact. This usually takes place every two weeks. During this contact he demonstrated his live musicianship, by playing his Recorder, whilst reading from a stave. He is not yet a Beethoven or a Mozart, but he is on his way. My son also took delight in reading his copy of one of the 'Horrid Henry' series, Horrid Henry tricks the tooth Fairy. This is a great achievement for him as, this time last year he could only read his forename.

After initially dropping into the SGI-UK Buddhist centre. We took a bus to the Science Museum. Whilst on the bus, my son explained how he used to only be a football supporter of one player, (David Beckham), but now he is also a supporter of a football club (Chelsea). My son also paid attention to flying aircrafts and suggested that I may not be interested in aircrafts, because I am a woman. I assured him that this was not the case.

We went to three places in the Science Museum. The shop, where we bumped into three of his Steiner school friends. Floor three (aircrafts section), and floor two (ships section). After leaving the museum, we went for a Chicken nugget Happy Meal and a McFlurry, in McDonald's.

It is such a joy to share quality time with my son. He was born six years into, the start of the onset of, my mental illness. And after spending the first five days of his life with me in the postnatal unit, he then spent the next almost three months, with me, in the 'Mother and Baby' unit of a psychiatric hospital.

Macbeth's Macduff? I think so.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.