Tuesday 2 September 2008

A Psychiatrist's Chair with Dr Kitty.

At 10am, this morning, I was seated in a room with my psychiatrist, and my social worker, who is also my Care Coordinator. This appointment had been arranged a few months ago, during my last CPA (Care Programme Approach), when my daily nightly dose of Stelazine ('Stella' for short), anti-psychotic medication was reduced from 6mgs to 4mgs.

Today, after initially enquiring how I was getting on generally, my psychiatrist specifically asked me how my reduction in medication had affected me since my last appointment with her. She then discussed with me, amongst other things, the results of the blood tests that she had also asked me to take, when we last met, after I had mentioned a variety of side effects that I had attributed to 'Stella'. The results of my blood tests are normal.

During today's client centred discussion. I was given the choice about if, and how I would like my medication to be decreased. I was also given a choice about whether I would prefer to be changed to a Standard CPA or remain on the Enhanced CPA for a bit longer. Last but not least, I have been given the time to ponder my choices, before I make a decision. Naturally, me being me, I could not wait for another decrease in my medication. So, from tonight, I will start taking 2mgs of 'Stella'. It seemed like such a far cry from the start of my fifteen year personal journey within the psychiatric system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.