Monday 22 September 2008

It is a Mistake to Look For One Model.

One Parent Families/Gingerbread - is the only lone parent family organisation run by lone parents for lone parents: www.oneparentfamilies.org.uk and www.gingerbread.org.uk

PinkParents (We are family) - offers a range of support services and social activities for all LGBT families. Whatever stage you are at; whether you are considering parenting, have grandchildren, are fostering or adopting or are an uncle or aunty, Pinkparents can offer you support and a place to meet new friends: www.pinkparents.org.uk

APA (American Psychological Association) Public Interest Directorate: Summary on Lesbian and Gay parenting - Reseach summary provided by the Public Interest Directorate of lesbian and gay parents and their children, designed for Mental Health professionals: www.apa.org/pi/parent.html

Unsuprisingly, for me at least, over the last few days I have been pondering my last converstation with my son. During which, I had reminded him that I would not be seeing him this forthcoming Saturday, as I would be working. In reply, he had asked "Can I come and help you do your work?" Bless. For a fleeting moment, the Charles Dickens character 'Oliver Twist,' came to life in my mind.

Fortunately, in my absence, I am satisfied that my son is happy and safe and has been, and is, receiving consistent and appropriate, outstanding care, love, respect and attention. And that he is situated at the forefront of his competent, longterm foster parents' focus.

Knowing this, plus my gradual acceptance of, 'powerlessness,' over my loss of daily productive involvement in my son's life, has helped to reduce my feelings of mental distress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.