Thursday 11 September 2008

One In Four.

'Time to Change,' is the new name for 'Moving People' www.movingpeople.org.uk

Years ago I heard Kay Redfield Jamison, a Professor of Psychiatry, speaking about her personal experience, of mental illness, on the radio. That was when the lightbulb went on, in my mind. I told my Consultant Psychiatrist that, for the first time I had recognised aspects of my own, Schizo affective disorder, mental illness from the way that Kay Redfield Jamison had described her's, which is manic- depressive illness, during her interview. Later on, I was delighted to obtain and read her book 'An Unquiet Mind' a memoir of moods and madness.

The seeds then sown, I went on to read the brilliant 'Depression and how to Survive it' written by Spike Milligan and Anthony Clare. Betty Berzon's deeply moving and inspirational book, 'Surviving Madness' a therapist's own story. This Betty Berzon book, also really helped to centre me in my sexuality. I was completely satisfied with Paulo Coelho's excellent fiction 'Veronika Desides to Die', M. Scott Peck's amazing book 'Further along the road less travelled', the unending journey towards spiritual growth, and Jacqueline Walker's absolute must read 'Pilgrim State' a story of mothers and daughters and the bonds which can never be broken. 'Whilst reading 'Pilgrim State' not only did I reconnected with my childhood and culture. But I also felt the compassion for my mother (she is also a survivor of mental health services) that I was unable to feel, because of my youth.

I am currently on page 90 of Cathy Wield's, insightful and compelling book, 'Life after darkness.' I already have my next book to read lined-up. It is going to be, 'A can of madness' written by Jason Pegler, who set up Chipmunkapublishing in 2002.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.