Monday 5 January 2009

Shame.


26.
Whilst studying at Luton 6th Form College, and very much taken with Evelyn 'Champagne' King's www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_King_(singer) hit single, 'Shame' www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxNqRFBqWzU Aside from maintaining my membership as a musician, in a local band with other 14 to 16 year old males and females, my main focus was on joining the Royal Air Force www.raf.mod.uk/ Despite much effort on my part, including taking a trip to London's Goodge Street, one rainy, windy day, to be interviewed, I was unsuccessful. It then fell to my mother to pick up the pieces - such was the extent of my disappointment. All was not lost, as one of my first cousins successfully joined the British Army.
When I then mentioned that I was toying with the idea of joining the Police Force. My mother, having been the daughter of a Police Constable, a sister of a Police Chief Superintendent and the partner of a Police Constable, in hindsight may well have felt frazzled.
Thirty years on, I have got over my teenage disappointment, and would say that there are many valid ways to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.